Tuesday, March 07, 2006

DMC sound experiment series #3.

Recenty, via e-mail, I asked my friend Rob from Sedimental Records about the extreme noise music scene. What makes an audience sit in awe and wonder for a sound performance involving the creation of ear-splitting sine-waves, for example. I got no answer. Too broad a question, perhaps. The question was more about the philosophy of it, I guess - not the making of it.

I still consider myself a neophyte to the noise scene, some of it seems like punishment, some of it seems to be about creating the soundscape of an unkown world, some of it is like meditating... but sometimes, I'll witness a head-scratchingly confusing live performance that is met with rowdy applause... a public appreciation of something that, to me, is best enjoyed in a darkened room with headhones.

A similar, yet unrelated philisophical question is: do lobsters feel pain when they are tossed into a pot of boiling water, and if so, what kind of pain is it? How does it compare to people-pain?

When I play with noise outdside of standard musical idioms, it's usually about exploring what kinds of sounds I can make from modern toys or appliances or my stomp-boxes and loop pedals. When i play with feedback, it's usually about releasing a human/animal voice out of the screaming waves from the viola or guitar acting against the overly-loud amplifier. A fun challenge is trying to blend that in while playing music with friends.

I've been trying to learn more about extreme (and other) noise... part of learning is doing, so, it's time to raise a ruckus.

- Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment